china edition
 

 

Summer Palace - Hall of the Sea of Wisdom


Temple of Sea of Wisdom, also called Zhihuihai in Chinese, is located behind the Tower of Buddhist Incense at the top of Longevity Hill. In 1860, when the British-French soldiers broke into the summer Palace they destroyed most of the Buddha statues that their bayonets could reach, although the stone temple itself survived.

Built entirely of bricks and stone, without a single beam or rafter, the temple is also called "beamless hall". Over one thousand Buddha statues were exquisitely carved in rows in the outer walls. The "Sea of Wisdom" came from Buddhist scriptures, meaning the wisdom of Buddha is as vast as the sea.