china edition
 

 

Xian - Ba Xian'an Monastery

Shaanxi - Xian - Yan'an

Ba Xian'an Monastery is located at the north side of Changle Fang Street, in the eastern suburb close to the east city wall of Xian City. It is the largest Taoism temple in Xian.

It is said that the Ba Xian'an Monastery was built during the Song dynasty. The Monastery was named to commemorate "the Eight Immortals in Legend", whose statues are the largest in the Monastery.

When the Eighth Allied Force invaded Beijing in 1900, the Emperor Guangxu and his mother, Empress Cixi, came to Xian to take refuge in this temple. She remained to write and also made financial investments here.

The entrance way to the Monastery is wide and open. At present, the tall-wooded Ba Xian'an Monastery looks simple and serene. In front of the monastery, there's a huge Screen Wall with 4 Chinese characters "Wangu-Changqing" (means remaining fresh forever) on it. The Bell Tower and Drum Tower stand on each side of the gate.

The Monastery is divided into the middle, the east, the west garden. There are the Linggong Palace, the Baxian Palace and the Doumu Palace in the middle, the Luzu Palace, the Yaowang Palace and other features in the east, Qiuzu Palace and the Jianyuan Room in the west.

After several restorations of the later Yuan, Ming and Qing dynasties, the Monastery became a public place for the Taoist to learn its religious culture. On the first and 15th days of each lunar calendar month, many people come here to burn joss sticks and pray for a blessing.

The street outside of the monastery is attractive. Government has made it a commercial venture where one can find many religious curios, which are very popular among visitors.