china edition
 

 

Xian - Banpo Village Remains

Shaanxi - Xian - Yan'an

The Banpo Village remains are located between the Chanhe and the Bahe rivers, to the east of Xian city. The remains were discovered in 1953 by workers laying the foundations for a factory, and are the most complete example of an agricultural Neolithic settlement in the world.

It is estimated that the village covered an area of 50,000 square m. 5 excavations between 1953 and 1957 have unearthed about a 5th of the total village (about 10,000 square m).

In 1958 the onsite Banpo Museum was opened. The site contains the ruins of more than 40 homes, 200 storage pots, a collection of pottery and tools, a pottery-making centre and more than 250 graves belonging to a matriarchal community of the Yangshao culture.