china edition
 

 

Lhasa - Norbulingka

Tibet - Lhasa - Shigatse

Norbulingka, meaning "Treasure Park", was first built in the 1740s. As a result of continuous expansion by the Dalai Lamas, it covers an area of 40 hectares. The Qing magistrate dispatched to Tibet built the original palace for His Holiness, the 7th Dalai Lama who often visited the area. In 1751, the 7th Dalai Lama began construction on the Kelsang Potrang as his palace where he ruled and received officials and high lamas.

The 14th Dalai Lama lived in the Kelsang Potrang during the construction of his new palace. Construction seldom stopped under the reigns of different Dalai Lamas. In 1956 the 14th Dalai Lama finished his own palace; Takten Migyur Potrang, usually called the New Summer Palace.

In the past, each spring a grand procession of lamas would follow the Dalai Lama to move into the park. Before 1959, common people had no access to the palace.